Sunday, January 9, 2011

Quilt Fiction

I am coordinating this post with My Patchwork Life, my friend Erin's blog. She posted earlier today about some of her favorite quilting fiction, especially mysteries. I have recently read Jennifer Chiaverini's The Aloha Quilt and before that A Quilter's Holiday. I'm a little behind on reading them, since her next one, The Union Quilters, is due out next month. I really liked The Aloha Quilt - it advances the modern-day story of the Elm Creek Quilters, and incorporates a new locale of Maui, since Bonnie, one of the original ECQs, has gone there to help an old friend set up a quilt camp. I've been to Hawaii, but not yet to Maui - this just made me want to go there more. The Union Quilters takes place during the Civil War - I'll want to re-read some of her previous books from that time period to recall the characters. A Quilter's Holiday does advance the story of the modern-day Elm Creek Quilters a bit, and I don't want to miss anything in their saga, but it didn't have nearly the plot that The Aloha Quilt has.


I also just recently read Earlene Fowler's State Fair. This is #14 in the Benni Harper series and I have really liked them all. I do remember thinking when I read about the first one that I wasn't sure I'd like it since it takes place in south central CA, and the main character is a young widow has a ranch and is the curator of a folk art museum. I didn't see much in that for me to relate to, but I have completely enjoyed all of the books in the series, and eagerly await Spider Web, due out in May. Erin mentioned earlier about reading Fowler's Love Mercy. I read that too, and hope she continues that story line as well. Benni and her husband Gabe are mentioned a bit in Love Mercy, though they are not the main characters.


Here are the 3 I read recently - 3 recent books I've read


I have read and loved all of Emilie Richards Shenandoah Album series - Sister's Choice is the latest. The setting is in Virginia, not far north of where I used to live, and where Erin still lives. Richards is also writing a series called Ministry is Murder - these do not involve quilts to a large extent, but the main character's mom has a quilt shop, so there is some mention. I've read several of her other books as well and enjoyed them all, but look forward to seeing if she goes back to the Shenandoah Album series again.

Erin mentioned that Clare O'Donohue had a new title in the Someday Quilts series published in September - that's in my Amazon wish list.  I have read, and liked, the first two - The Lover's Knot and A Drunkard's Path. She also mentioned that Marie Bostwick has a fourth title coming out soon in her Cobbled Court series. I haven't read the 3rd one yet, so need to add that one to my collection.


I have not read any of Arlene Sachitano's Loose Threads mysteries, and the 4th one of those is out now. Might have to check my public library to see if they have any of them.


There is a 4th title out now in the Queen Bees Quilt mysteries - the first 3 were by Sally Goldenbaum, but this new one is by Marnette Falley - Dog-Gone Murder. Should be interesting to see if a new author can keep the same style as the previous one.


I have one of Terri Thayer's quilt mysteries - Wild Goose Chase. There are others in that series, but I'll read this one before ordering more.


The other authors that Erin mentioned - Lizbie Brown, Barbara Graham, and Lani Diane Rich - are all new to me, but I have now placed some of their books in my Amazon cart too.  I am especially interested in the Barbara Graham books as they are set in East Tennessee, where I grew up.

It may not sound like it, but I do like to read other books besides those having quilts in them in some way. Some of my favorite authors, besides the ones mentioned above, are Dorothea Benton Franks, Debbie Macomber, James Patterson, David Baldacci, and Sharyn McCrumb.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Infrequent bloggers like us have to post pictures of "in-progress" views as well as finished projects! Sounds like you are definitely making progress on your most recent quilt! Have you checked out Erin's posting about quilting fiction.

Vesuviusmama said...

How fun to coordinate posts! I have to say that the Terri Thayer and Arlene Sachitano books aren't my favorite, but I hate to think that there is quilt fiction out there that I don't have. Besides, if I ever plan to write some, I want to know what I like AND what I don't like.