Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Yoyo Bunnies, Fabric Baskets and a Sudoku Board

I have been working on making some yoyo bunnies - this one is completed and ready to give to Reba, our oldest granddaughter, later this week. Reba's bunny and basket I made a quilt for her out of some of these fabrics about 2 years ago. Reba's quilt The fabric basket is one of the 6 fabric baskets I have made so far - here it is with some of the others. 5 baskets Starting on the left, #'s 1, 2, and 4 are for granddaughters and they all coordinate with quilts I have made or am making. The one in the middle coordinates with a table runner that I am giving to one of my daughters this week. I had given two of these baskets to the granddaughters earlier this year, but then I agreed to do a workshop on them for the guild, so I borrowed them back to use in the workshop. I am hoping to have the second bunny done by the time I see them on Friday. They take about 60 yoyos each, so not a real quick project!

For some time now I have had in the back of my head the idea that I wanted to make a Sudoku board using fabric pieces in some way that could actually be played. Eventually I came up with this idea finished board I've used Velcro in each square, on the back of each fabric square and as strips on the sides to hold the pieces I've not used yet. I wanted some way to make "pencil marks" - and finally came up with the idea of just cutting out little pieces of each of the 9 fabrics. I made this on muslin with 1/4" fusible bias tape for the major lines. Each of the playing pieces is 2 squares of fabric sewn together with a piece of batting in the middle and frayed edges all around. It remains to be seen how long the playing pieces last, but I could always make more. The 9 fabrics I used are all from quilts I've made. In the middle is a 20" x 40" display board, so it can be folded up if I want. I set up the board by using any Sudoku puzzle, then see how far I can get.

4 comments:

Kristie said...

You certainly have been busy! I just love the yo-yo bunny!! A friend made me a couple of those baskets and I just love them, I haven't had time to make any myself yet!

Love the idea of the Sudoku board!! You should really market that idea! I truly think it would sell!
Kristie

Darling Jill Quilts said...

I agree! The Sudoku board is a gerat idea!!!

Vesuviusmama said...

The bunny turned out GREAT! How did the workshop go - did many people stay? Did many people complete their projects? I hate missing so much guild stuff!

Nancy said...

Thanks Kristie and Jill - right now I'm not interested in doing any marketing - but it is an intriguing idea! And thanks to Erin too. I had about 15 at the workshop and most stayed until about 1:00, which in itself is pretty amazing. Most everyone finished theirs, or came close, and several have made others since the workshop.