Saturday, December 6, 2008

A Helpful Hubby

I just posted the text below on Quiltville Chat but decided after doing it that it deserved a wider readership - so here it is.

After reading recently the laments of Bonnie Hunter and others about the lack of help from hubbies during the holidays I just had to write to speak up for the other side. Yesterday my DH took off 1/2 day from work, which he rarely does, so that we could go to the tree farm we've gone to most of the last 20 years and cut our tree. Since the farm is out of town, we combined it with a trip to get one of cars its 120,000 mile check-up. The car part of the trip did not turn out as planned - something about gaskets - and may end up costing us as much at $1500 and they are keeping the car over the weekend. They gave us a loaner though and we decided to proceed with the other part of the trip. We got the tree, Dave with our 2008 tree didn't mess up the loaner getting it home, put it up and decorated it last night. He cut the tree, put it in the stand, carried up the boxes of decorations from the basement, unfurled the lights while I placed them on the tree, put as many ornaments on the tree as I did while we both hummed sang along to some of our Mannheim Steamroller Christmas albums, and swept up afterwards. We put up a tree every year even though our 4 kids are all grown and gone from home - and we go to GA where most of them are every year for a week or so at Christmas. Soon he will help me select a photo for our Christmas cards and help write the Christmas letter.Then together we will sign the cards and put the labels and stamps on them.To make this a quilty post, I will also say that he takes great interest in what I am quiting on, and will help with fabric selections for the ones I make specifically for us. Oh, and he also helps with the dishes every night, vacuums every weekend and will even squirt cleaning stuff in the bathroom bowls without my asking. I think I made a terrific choice almost 34 years ago when we met and married - and I think I'll keep him around!!

5 comments:

Pat H. said...

It's wonderful to hear a true love story that started over 34 yrs ago. I hope there are many more to come


Pat H.

Bethany said...

My husband is a wonderful help as well. He does so much for me and I love him dearly

Colleen said...

It was nice to read that other husbands are just as helpful as mine. My just spent two days being a "single" dad to our toddler as I spent the weekend quilting with friends, and never once did he complain. Aren't we blessed?! So many of your comments reminded me of my husband. I think we both got keepers.

Anonymous said...

He's definitely a keeper! My man goes through spurts - at times, he shocks me with all that he does, unasked, and at other times, I wonder at his ability to sit idly while I am a whirling dervish trying to run the household. But regardless of which phase he is in, he always appreciates me, and it sure is nice to be loved and appreciated.

(see you at lunch!)

Linda said...

That's wonderful. You do have a keeper. My husband and I celebrated our 30th anniversary on Dec 16th. His friends kid him all the time and tell him he will make someone a good wife. He washes clothes, vacuums, puts dishes in the dishwasher, irons his own clothes, irons my clothes when I ask him. Mind you he does it his way, if you know what I mean. I appreciate everything he does and I'm glad I have him but I just wish he could cook! (LOL) I love him to pieces and wouldn't trade him....Merry Christmas. Linda