Monday, September 29, 2008

Lillian's Quilt Top Finished

I just finished piecing the top of Lillian's quilt - Lillian's Quilt Top Finished and am working on the back of it now. (Lillian is our new granddaughter who was born August 16.) I am planning to make the back one large 9-patch square like the ones on the front, using the purple/black/red fabric in the border and one of the lighter red prints, then make a wide border of the purple used in the narrow border on the front. I am also working on a plan for the hand-quilting designs using a few extra blocks that I had. I've used a couple of purple fabrics that I used in her sister Reba's quilt which I think is fun to do. The pattern is "Glory Days" from Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting magazine, July/August '08 issue - I've just made mine more scrappy than theirs. I'm hoping to get the back pieced today, then I'll be ready to sandwich it. I've used spray basting a lot recently so think that I will use that for this quilt, but want to try it on my little sample first since I'm not sure how it will work with handquilting. I'm planning to use a new kind of batting - Quilters Dream Green. It is 100% polyester and is made out of recycled plastic bottles. I'll post a photo of the back when I get it done.


Ruthie said...

What a pretty quilt!

dot said...

What a nice quilt top. Lillian is a lucky girl. I really like this.

Becky P said...

It looks great! Reba and I looked at it (she's home sick) and she wanted to talk to you about it! Lillian will definitely love it for years to come. The back sounds very interesting, too!