One the 2nd Monday of most months our guild meets at A Scarlet Thread (my local quilt shop) to work on Quilts of Valor. I have completed 4 and have another one my design wall. I've blogged about them before, but since I just started blogging again after a long hiatus, and since my previous blogs are currently missing the photos, I'll post here a picture of the ones I've done so far. I do the piecing and binding, and one of our guild members does the long-arm quilting on them.
This was my first one, completed in July 2011. It is using Bonnie Hunter's Starstruck pattern.
The next one I made was this one from a pattern by Laura's Quilt Lakeside that is distributed by A Scarlet Thread. I turned it in at the March 2012 meeting.
The next QOV quilt I made was this one using the "Big" Star Quilt pattern from Country Threads. Our group has made several of these. We adjust the pattern a bit to fit within the range of the QOV size requirements. I started working on this one in October 2012 and turned it in at the January '13 meeting.
The 4th one I completed was partially made by one of the other members of our group. I added about 1/2 of the stars and put them together. This pattern we call Floating Stars - a adaptation of a pattern from McCall's Quick Quilts July '05 issue. I turned it in at the February '13 meeting.
I am working on another one of the Big Star Quilts now, using the same fabrics. Since the center of it is a square we have to add some at the top and bottom to make it fit within the range of sizes for a QOV. Depending on how much fabric I have left of these pieces the top and bottom inserts might end up being a different size or arrangement.
Yesterday we worked on making the 10th Anniversary Block, honoring the 10 years of Quilts of Valor. There were 8 of us there and we had 30 made by the end of our 5 hours. When we make a QOV we also have to make a pillowcase as a presentation case, so I have made 4 of those as well. I have hand-sewn the binding on a couple of others, and took one that was donated to us and removed the binding and replaced it with a better choice. I frequently see another pattern with stars of some kind in it that I add to the collection of ones I want to do for QOV, and I still have a lot of red, white and blue fabrics, so it looks like I will continue with this project for awhile.
At the March guild meeting my long-arm quilter friend returned my Orange Crush Mystery. I have blogged about this one before. I started this Bonnie Hunter mystery in March 2008 and finished the top in time to take it back to my old guild in Lexington, VA, when Bonnie came there to teach a class in February 2011. Unlike most of my quilt projects, this one was not for anyone in particular; it does not really fit in my color scheme in our house, but I am so far unwilling to give it up either. I gave it to my quilter friend in February, and have now finished the binding on it. It may be hard to tell from the pictures, but the binding is made from all of the blues that are the centers of the orange blocks.
The orange, green and black fabrics are constant throughout the quilt and the rest is very scrappy. I think Bonnie used red where my green is, but I love this combination and knew a long time ago I wanted to bind it in the bright medium blues from the orange centers.
I should add here that the way I am adding photos to the blog now is SO simple! If I had realized that way back I would have had a much easier time of it! Before, I was doing some kind of convoluted thing with loading my pictures to Webshots, then copying the code from there for a small size to put in the HTML code for the blog -- then Webshots went to subscription only and so all my links to those pictures were lost. I still have them on my computer, but adding them all back in will be a long-term thing. I might still do it, because the main reason for my blog is to keep a record of what I am doing for myself, but adding those photos back in will be a bother.