Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Senior Center Gift Quilts Finished

Last Friday the quilting group that I lead at the Senior Center presented the two quilts we have been working on for months to the director and associate director of the Center. Both are the Turning Twenty pattern, one in blues - the Front of Ray's Quilt with a large lighthouse panel on the back - The Back of Ray's Quilt because the assoc. director likes blue, and reminds us of that every day we are there, and he likes lighthouses. We made this one for the director - The front of Jeri's Quilt I used some large pieces of sunflower print on the back - The back of Jeri's Quilt At the time we were making this one the director was involved in getting a raised garden going behind the building, so we thought lots of floral prints would be appropriate. These were both made out of fabrics donated to the Center. One of the members of our group has a long-arm, and though she didn't want to volunteer to quilt them both she was willing to show me how to use a pantograph so I quilted both of them. The quality of the quilting does not stand up to hers, but we got them done - and the recipients seemed to like them. If they suspected anything during those months we were working on them they were kind enough not to say so. I am hoping that the woman who took some pictures will send them to me so I can add them to my collection. Here are the labels -the is Ray's Ray's Quilt Label and this is Jeri's Jeri's Quilt Label I was finishing up the labels about 2 hours before their monthly musical program at the Center! I had quilted Jeri's the previous Friday, and though the other ladies said they would help me bind it at our meeting on Wednesday, I decided I didn't want to ruin the surprise by having one of them ask who it was for at that late date, so I just did the binding - and the labels - myself.

2 comments:

Gina said...

Beautiful quilts. What great presents

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Kristie said...

Oh, Nancy! Those are amazing gifts! I think what you do is very special! Your quilting looks great!
Kristie